FONSECA AND THE CREW COMPLAINED OF HEAT! WE YET AGAIN FACE BACK TO SCHOOL PAINS! WHAT YOU DID LABOR DAY WEEKEND!
INSTANT PHONER: Labor Day Weekend was the second biggest weekend of the year for barbecuing.
Survey: “Have you ever had any crazy or funny barbecue mishaps? If so, what happened?”
Back to School
School Starts In Some Parts Of North America Today
A survey by McAfee reveals that 29% of teens use gadgets to cheat in school. Other findings:
– 54% of students know a fellow cheater
– 62% of students have witnessed a fellow student cheating.
Need A Loan
A survey by Student Loan Hero reveals that 3% of students blow their school loan money on alcohol and drugs. Other findings:
– 3% of students blow their school loan money on vacations.
– 13% of students blow their school loan money on restaurants.
– 15% of students blow their school loan money on clothing.
– 19% of students blow their school loan money on car payments
In The Red
A survey by MyBankTracker reveals that 33% of recent college graduates would sell an organ to pay off student debt. Other findings:
– the average student is $34,500 in debt
– 38% of recent college graduates would volunteer to be a human guinea pig in a drug trial to pay off student debt
– 50% of recent college graduates would give up half of what they own to be debt-free
– 55% of recent college graduates would turn their life into a reality show to pay off student debt
A survey by BIC reveals that 33% of teachers have seen students use emoticons in written answers on exams. Other findings:
– 66% of teachers have docked students for using smiley faces and other emoticons on exams
– 61% of teachers believe the quality of student handwriting has deteriorated over the last five years
– 64% of teachers say that illegible handwriting has prevented them from awarding the full grade a student deserved
– 82% of teachers say students are losing traditional skills because they are too reliant on new technology
A survey published in The National Student reveals that 25% of students have lied on their college application. Other findings:
– 27% of college applicants have lied about the books they’ve read
– 20% of college applicants have lied about extra curricular activities and hobbies
Music = Better Grades
Top 40 and classical music can help students score better on exams. Clinical psychologist Dr Emma Gray played music for students and found classical music, or songs with 50 to 80 beats per minute, allowed the brain to learn and improved memory. Pop music produced a heightened state of excitement and enhanced performance in English, Drama and Art. Classical music lovers scored better in math.
Gray tells the Daily Mail, ”Music has a positive effect on the mind and listening to the right type of music can actually improve studying and learning. Music can put you in a better frame of mind to learn – and indeed, students who listen to music can actually do better than those who don’t. For logical subjects, like Maths, music should calm the mind and help concentration, whereas for creative subjects, the music should reflect the emotion that the student is trying to express.”
A survey by the Teacher Support Network reveals that 70% of teachers are so fed up with out-of-control students they have considered quitting their job. Other findings:
– 80% of teachers have suffered stress and depression due to their student’s shocking behavior.
– 90% of teachers believe their student’s behavior has gotten worse since they started their career.
– 33% of teachers think they should be allowed to search pupils for cigarettes, drugs and alcohol
My daughter and her best friend just started their junior year of high school. My daughter was in the shower the other day when I quietly snuck into her room and checked her smartphone. Her best friend texted her and told her she has been sending naughty messages and scandalous pictures to a young man, who attends our local community college. I researched the guy and found out he’s 21. My daughter and her friend are both 16. I am torn over what to do. Should I tell the girl’s mother? If I do my daughter will know I snooped through her phone and it will break the trust we have built together. What would you do if you were me? This relationship should not be happening!
Hurricane Harvey Trending …
– Damage from Hurricane Harvey could reach $180 billion
– Inside Edition claims Hurricane Harvey flood waters destroyed 500,000 cars.
– The Sun Sentinel claims Michael Dell of Dell computers pledged $36 million to Hurricane Harvey relief
– McDonald’s has donated $1 million to Hurricane Harvey relief.
– Wisconsin cheese companies have donated 20,000 pounds of cheese to Hurricane Harvey victims
– Biggest DVD Releases This Week: Rough Night, All Eyez on Me and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
– Elite Daily claims hairstylists have created a new color for Fall called Pumpkin Spice. The orange hue is quickly becoming popular with Halloween less than two months away
– WGRZ claims competitive eater Joey Chestnut won the World Wing Eating championship on Sunday by downing 220 wings in 12 minutes. Last year, he ate 188 wings in 12 minutes.
– The Daily Mail claims Prince William and Kate Middleton are expecting their third baby to arrive in late April.
– Entertainment Weekly claims The Prop Store is auctioning off Michael J Fox’s self-lacing Nike shoes from Back to the Future 2. They are expected to sell for as much as $45,000.
– Entertainment Weekly claims Lakers star Lonzo Ball is going to guest star on season 3 of Fuller House. He will play himself.
– Business Insider claims Donald Trump’s new iPhone doesn’t have a web browser, but does have the Twitter app.
– A new study by the car site iseecars.com reveals that men’s favorite car colors are yellow and orange while women prefer teal and gold
Food Trending …
– Elite Daily claims Pumpkin Spice Latte’s are available at Starbucks starting today
– The National Student claims Ben & Jerry’s has created a new flavor called Home Sweet Honeycomb. It features chocolate covered honeycomb chunks and a honey caramel swirl.
– Popsugar claims Krispy Kreme is bringing back their Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donut for one day on September 8th.
– Business Insider claims Red Lobster is bringing back their Endless Shrimp promotion with two new flavors … Nashville Hot Shrimp and Mediterranean grilled shrimp.
Hooray for Hollywood: Here are this past weekend’s box office results.
1. The Hitman’s Bodyguard — $10.3 million
2. Annabelle: Creation — $7.3 million
3. Wind River — $5.9 million
4. Leap! — $4.9 million
5. Logan Lucky — $4.4 million
6. Dunkirk — $4.1 million
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming — $3.7 million
8. The Emoji Movie — $2.5 million
9. Despicable Me 3 — $2.4 million
10. Girls Trip — $2.3 million
WARM AND FUZZY
Houston Couple Cancels Pre-Wedding Dinner; Uses Meals To Feed Harvey Victims: Inside Edition claims Dayna Skolkin and Josh Tillis, of Houston, Texas, cancelled their pre-wedding dinner last Friday so they could use the meals to feed Hurricane Harvey victims.
Dayna tells the TV show that she and her partner served chicken, mashed potatoes, fresh rolls and veggies. “My fiancé and I went over there and helped to make the meals. Everyone in Houston right now is doing everything we can to try to help. Once we were able to get out there and do something for the community, it felt really amazing.”
A survey by PriceGrabber.com reveals that 66% of people think the rule about not wearing white after Labor Day is outdated. 21% of respondents have never heard of the rule while 72% ignore it and wear white after Labor Day.
A new survey by the Blue Cross pet charity reveals that 10% of people have included their pet in their wedding. Other findings:
25% of people included their pet in their wedding because it kept them calm and helped them overcome anxiety.
20% of people included their pet in their wedding because they are an important part of their family.
12% of people included their pet in their wedding because they are cute
A new survey by Savoy Stewart reveals that 54% of hiring managers have a negative view of tattoos. Other findings:
– 58% of people have a negative view of flight attendants, who have tattoos
– 56% of people have a negative view of politicians, who have tattoos
– 51% of people have a negative view about teachers, who have tattoos
– 43% of people have a negative view about lawyers and nurses, who have tattoos
What Women Want
A new survey by the medical site Dr. Ed reveals that 50% of women love a man, who cries. Other findings
– 70% of women are attracted to men, who can bake
– 50% of women want a man, who cares about the way they look
– 60% of women say a man, who dances is sexy.
– 55% of women say a man, who paints is sexy